2016 Summer Fine Arts Camp - Artists of Alabama
Explore Artists from the Great State of Alabama!
- Thornton Dial
- Catherine Tucker Wyndham
- James Dean (Pete the Cat)
- Charlie Lucas - The Tin Man
- Special Appearance by "Blossom - The Painting Pig"
All supplies included for the week of art exploration! Morning Snack Provided.
Location: SCAC, 104 Mildred Street Columbiana, AL
Drawing: LEARN TO DRAW! ALL LEVELS
An introductory class that offers a fun experience! Instructor Jerry Roldan will explain the equipment and what an artist looks for when he makes a work. Drawing is the signature of the artists....if you can write your name - you can draw!
Classes focus on individual topics such as Line Drawing - Still Life - Self Portrait
First class - Introductory Fee $10.00. After the first class fee is $15/a session or $60 for the month
After the first class - $25 registration fee is required.
Tuesday Evenings 6:00-7:30pm
Kids Night Out @ SCAC
Kids Night Out @ the SCAC
- Children ages 6-14
- Each Night Out is themed!
- Learn about artists and create their own Master Piece
- Light Snack Provided
- $25 for first child, $15 for each additional child in same family
May 14th - Folk Art Beach Scene on Canvas (Artist - Paul Gauguin, landscape artist)
June 11th - Starry Night on Canvas (Artist - Vincent Van Gogh)
July 9th - Collage Cut Outs (Artist - Matisse)
August 6th - Summer's End - Messy Art Canvas (Artist - Jackson Pollack)
Instructor: Trina Stogner
Music Lessons: Guitar, Harmonica, Piano, Voice through Shelby County Arts Council's Music Program
- Learn music theory and technique
- Professional Muscians are the Instructors
- To read more about our Professional Instructors, please click here.
- Call to discuss your scheduling requirements and class fees.
PAINTING: WATERCOLORS with Pat Hall
- Great class for first time painters! Teachers goes step by step through the process!
- Portrait Painintg Focus on skin tones and facial features
- No drawing necessary - tracings and photos provided
- Paint your own subjects when you feel comfortable with the basics
(Instructor will project the image of your photo onto tracing paper and bring it to class)
Instructor: Pat Hall
Monthly Workshops - 2nd Saturday of Each Month, Workshop Fee $50/Month, 9:30 am - 3:30 pm
Weekly Classes at the Artist's Home Studio - Wednesday, 12:30pm - 3:30 pm, Class Fee $80/Month
Ages 15 and up!
Location:Shelby County Arts Council
Materials provided for New Students: 11 x 15 Sheet of 300lb Cold Press Paper . Professional grade watercolor paint Bring your brushes if you have any
Painting: Meet the Masters
Students learn about 35 of the Greatest Artists in History. Explore the techniques that revoluntionized the art world.
- Easels, canvas, and paint are just some of the tools used in this painting & art history class
- Investigate artwork by the masters & explore various art mediums during this 4-week course
- Homeschoolers - Wednesdays 1:30-2:30pm
- After School - Wednesdays 3:30 - 4:30pm
- Private lessons available. Call to schedule (669-0044)
- Location: Shelby County Arts Council Studio – Columbiana
Regular price: $70/month - 4 sessions includes all suppies
Painting: RELAXED, CREATIVE, PRODUCTIVE Monday
- Relaxed Studio Class, you decide your project!
- No experience necessary!
- Personalized attention given by professional painting Instructor!
Now Enrolling for 2016
February - May 2016
4 week sessions, Ongoing Ages 15 – Adult
Instructor: Lynn Dodson
Supply List of Recommended Materials Provided Upon Request
Location: Shelby County Arts Council
Regular price: $80/month
Painting: STUDIO OPEN PAINTING
- Bring your own supplies
- Artists are invited to come and paint in our studio.
- Enjoy the company and encouragement of your fellow artists.
- All mediums are welcome.
Tuesday's - 10:00 AM – 2:00 PM
Ages 15 - Adult
Open house, no instructor
$7.00 fee per day
Painting: Throw an Arty Party
- Get a group together and throw an Arty Party!
- Great for a Teen Birthday Party! We will work with you on the design of the painting to fit your party theme!
- Great for Corporate Team Building!
- From beginner to advanced, students will be led through a creation of a beautiful painting!
Ages 6 – Adult
Call to schedule private arty party 205-669-0044
Photography: Capturing Memorable Images
How do you capture what you intended to when you press the shutter?
How do you go from taking snap-shots to capturing images which have that WOW factor?
This class is designed to introduce the student to basic concepts in photography and digital camera operations including:
Ø Image Capture - understanding the light, know your camera, develop techniques
Ø Image Transfer - set up the computer, manage your image files, accessories
Ø Image Processing - software available, capabilities, techniques
Ø Image Sharing - E-mailing, WEB sites, printing
Need to bring: your digital camera and your camera's users manual
Whether you've got a simple "POINT-AND-SHOOT" digital camera or a more complex Digital SLR, you can gain skill and confidence in your ability to capture memorable images.
Course Length - Two 3 hour sessions
Class Date: January 23 and January 30, 2016 from 9am to noon
Class Fee: $100
Photography: CLICK! Basic Digital PHOTOGRAPHY for adults
Ages 14 - Adult
You have bought your first Manual-Exposure digital camera and you have now become overwhelmed and confused how to make the best out of your equipment, then this is the course for you. Come and let us help you to understand the different aspects of photography! You will be exposed to:
-Image sizing and resolution
-How to best store and backup your images
-The difference between erasing your card and formatting it
-Image Quality- Raw vs. Jpeg
-Concept of Aperture Openings/F-stops, Shutter speeds, ISO/ film Speeds on a digital camera
-The different exposure modes and shooting modes on the camera
-How to find correct exposures indoors and outside
-How to correctly compose your images
-The gray-making property of your cameras lightmeter and how to overcome it.
-Learn how to correctly expose your images using a gray card or the palm of your hand
-How to calibrate your meter for perfect exposures
-The metering modes on the camera and what they do
-The drive modes on your camera
-The Autofocus and Manual Focus settings on your camera
-The Drive Modes on the camera
-The White Balance functions on your camera
You will also be shown how to improve your images by using PhotoShop image editing software. You will have personalized attention from the instructor, so that you may reach the goals that you set out for yourself in this course.
Regular price: $100/Session
Photography: SCAC Photography Round Table
If you can answer yes to any of these questions then this forum is for you!
1. I'm interested in theme photgraphy.
2. I want to develop my photography style.
3. I want honest feedback on my photography.
4. I'm not sure my photographs capture the mood I want.
5. I am ready to advance from amatuer to professional.
6. I want advice on my equipment, lighting, and tools.
Time: 6:00 - 8:00pm
Meets the first Wednesday of each month.
Follow us on Facebook for the latest on the RoundTable Meeting Dates and Monthly Projects!
Facilitator: Hank Siegel
Location: Shelby County Arts Council in Columbiana
Ages 12 and up.
Shelby County Arts Council's Photography Round Table will be facilitated by Hank Siegel, a professional photographer who has earned his Certificate for Completion of Digital Photography Program with Paris Farzad, SCAC's very own Basic Digital Photography Instructor. This group is not a class; it is a casual but informative venue for amateur to expert level photographers to come together to share their ideas, tips, advice, tricks, and knowledge with each other. This group is highly recommended for those who are planning to take or who have already taken our "Click! Intro to Basic Digital Photography" class offered on Thursday evenings with Paris Farzad or comparable.
Pottery - Beginning Handbuilding Class with Candye Lundy
Hand-building Pottery Class
Instructor: Candye Lundy
New Sessions begin in January 2016
- Monday Evenings 5:30-8:00 pm
- Thursday Mornings 10:30am -1:00 pm
A fun, relaxed class focusing on creating large serving pieces made from clay!
Learn the basics of handbuilding from SCAC Pottery Collective member Candye Lundy.
Class Fee: $115,
This class uses Cone 6 clay. Supplies(clay/glazes) not included in class fee. Bring your own clay (Cone 6) to class, available locally through Alabama Art Supply and Forstall Art Center in Birmingham.
Pottery - Getting Muddy!
Wednesday, April 13, 2016 from 10 am to Noon
Class Fee: $40
Join us for a morning of making a stoneware pottery serving tray with dip bowl this is sure impress your family and friends!
- One Morning Workshop
- No Prior pottery experience necessary
- All supplies included
- Return at your convenience to glaze
Pottery - Sculpture Class with Nelson Grice
Professional Potter - Nelson Grice - Will lead the class through the process of transferring clay into a sculpture.
This class is designed for the intermediate pottery student looking to expand their skills. Students should have completed a beginning handbuilding class prior to enrollment.
Visit his website: www.nelsongriceart.com/
June 2 - June 23, 2016; Thursday Evenings 6-8:00pm
- Turn a block of clay into a work of art
- Learn to create expressive features
- The world of sculpture ceramics is nearly limitless
Cost: $100 (includes firings). Bring your own supplies. RAKU clay is recommended for this class. You may purchase Raku clay at Alabama Art Supply, Forstall Art or contact Becky at Falcon Art Supply in Montevallo.
Pottery: Build, Throw, Fire! Wheel-class with Nita Terrell
Build, Throw, Fire!
Pottery: Build, Throw, Fire! evenings with Nita Terrell
Six-weeks pottery class- majority wheel throwing with some hand building
- Learn pottery techniques through productively working; on the wheel or through hand-built pieces
- Learn new skills or develop and improve skills by explore wheel throwing and hand-building techniques in a fun and relaxing environment.
- Learn about glazing, and select what color combination works for your projects.
- Personal training time is plentiful due to our small class size (limited to 6 students minimum of 2)
- Supplies: The studio fires Cone 6 clay for classes. Purchase you clay prior to class. Supplies are available locally through Alabama Art Supply or Forstall Art Center in Birmigham.
- We will throw on the wheel for the first class so bring an old towel if you can.
Sessions - Tuesday Evening, 5:00 - 7:30pm
Ages 15 – Adult
May 17 to June 28 (No class June 7, 2016)
Regular price: $115.00
Pottery: Open Studio
Open Studio at the SCAC!
Our pottery studio will be open for use! The monthly fee includes use of space, tools, wheels and firing in the kiln.
Non-students must have completed a minimum of three hand-building and/or wheel throwing classes to participate in the open studio.
You must supply your own clay and glazes! We bisque fire at Cone "04" and glaze fire at Cone "6".
Monthly Fee is $50.00 and must be paid in advance! Click for full Open Studio Guidelines.
Summer Studio Hours
Thursday - 1:00-5pm
Private Visual Art Tutoring for Youth
- One-on-one tutoring for youth is one of the best ways for a serious young artist to exercise their creative and technical muscles.
- Our private students are encouraged to create works based on themes or in a series, to think critically about art, and investigate work by the masters and explore and experiment with new art mediums.
Lessons are $25/hour
Call SCAC to schedule. 205.669.0044
Location: Shelby County Arts Council
Studio - Columbiana
Minimum 4 lessons
Available instructors: Lynn Dodson, Edna Sealy, Jerry Roldan, and Bruce Andrews
Studio 104 w/Trina Stogner
Studio 104 with Trina Stogner
Fun adult evening classes with Trina Stogner! Gather your friends and head out to the SCAC!
June 14th - American Flag on Pallet
July 12th - Flamingo on Wood
August 12th - Football Door Hanger
Instructor: Trina Stogner
Class Fee: $40.00
Summer Theater Camp: The Frog Prince with Missoula Children's Theather
- A fun and exciting camp for students who love the stage!
- Open to ages 1st grade through 12th grade
- Missoula Children's Theatre will work with 50-60 campers to produce to FULL SCALE musical performance in just ONE WEEK!
- All children will have a role in the production!
- The camp will help reinforce educational components such as memorization and interpersonal relationship skills - all the while having FUN!
- Cost: $100.00 per student
Date/Time: Monday, June 27 - Friday, July 1 - Time: 10am-2:00pm, held at the Shelby County High School
Saturday, July 2, 2016 Performance date, Time: 4:00pm at Shelby County High School