Drawing: LEARN TO DRAW! ALL LEVELS
An introductory class that offers a fun experience! Instructor Jerry Roldan will explain the equipment and what an artist looks for when he makes a work. Drawing is the signature of the artists....if you can write your name - you can draw!
Classes focus on individual topics such as Line Drawing - Still Life - Self Portrait
First class - Introductory Fee $10.00. After the first class fee is $15/a session or $60 for the month
After the first class - $25 registration fee is required.
Tuesday Evenings 6:00-7:30pm
Music Lessons: Guitar, Harmonica, Piano, Voice through Shelby County Arts Council's Music Program
- Learn music theory and technique
- Professional Muscians are the Instructors
- To read more about our Professional Instructors, please click here.
- Call to discuss your scheduling requirements and class fees.
Painting: Meet the Masters
Students learn about 35 of the Greatest Artists in History. Explore the techniques that revoluntionized the art world.
- Easels, canvas, and paint are just some of the tools used in this painting & art history class
- Investigate artwork by the masters & explore various art mediums during this 4-week course
- Homeschoolers - Wednesdays 1:30-2:30pm
- After School - Wednesdays 3:30 - 4:30pm
- Private lessons available. Call to schedule (669-0044)
- Location: Shelby County Arts Council Studio – Columbiana
Regular price: $70/month - 4 sessions includes all suppies
Painting: RELAXED, CREATIVE, PRODUCTIVE Monday
- Relaxed Studio Class, you decide your project!
- No experience necessary!
- Personalized attention given by professional painting Instructor!
Now Enrolling for Fall 2015 Sessions:
4 week sessions, Ongoing Ages 15 – Adult
Instructor: Lynn Dodson
Supply List of Recommended Materials Provided Upon Request
Location: Shelby County Arts Council
Regular price: $80/month
Painting: STUDIO OPEN PAINTING
- Bring your own supplies
- Artists are invited to come and paint in our studio.
- Enjoy the company and encouragement of your fellow artists.
- All mediums are welcome.
CALL the SCAC to reserve your spot!
Summer Schedule: All Tuesdays except July 21 and July 28
Tuesday's - 10:00 AM – 2:00 PM
Ages 15 - Adult
Open house, no instructor
$7.00 fee per day
Painting: Throw an Arty Party
- Get a group together and throw an Arty Party!
- Great for a Teen Birthday Party! We will work with you on the design of the painting to fit your party theme!
- Great for Corporate Team Building!
- From beginner to advanced, students will be led through a creation of a beautiful painting!
Ages 6 – Adult
Call to schedule private arty party 205-669-0044
Photography: Capturing Memorable Images
SPECIAL FALL OFFER: TWO FOR THE PRICE OF ONE!
How do you capture what you intended to when you press the shutter?
How do you go from taking snap-shots to capturing images which have that WOW factor?
This class is designed to introduce the student to basic concepts in photography and digital camera operations including:
Ø Image Capture - understanding the light, know your camera, develop techniques
Ø Image Transfer - set up the computer, manage your image files, accessories
Ø Image Processing - software available, capabilities, techniques
Ø Image Sharing - E-mailing, WEB sites, printing
Need to bring: your digital camera and your camera's users manual
Whether you've got a simple "POINT-AND-SHOOT" digital camera or a more complex Digital SLR, you can gain skill and confidence in your ability to capture memorable images.
Course Length - Two 3 hour sessions
Class Date: Sept 15 & Sept 22, Tuesday Morning - 10am - 1pm (two for one- Bring a friend!)
Class Fee: $100 ( non-members) or $90 for SCAC Members
Photography: CLICK! Basic Digital PHOTOGRAPHY for adults
4 week sessions (October 1-22, 2015 and October 29-Nov 19, 2015)
Ages 14 - Adult
You have bought your first Manual-Exposure digital camera and you have now become overwhelmed and confused how to make the best out of your equipment, then this is the course for you. Come and let us help you to understand the different aspects of photography! You will be exposed to:
-Image sizing and resolution
-How to best store and backup your images
-The difference between erasing your card and formatting it
-Image Quality- Raw vs. Jpeg
-Concept of Aperture Openings/F-stops, Shutter speeds, ISO/ film Speeds on a digital camera
-The different exposure modes and shooting modes on the camera
-How to find correct exposures indoors and outside
-How to correctly compose your images
-The gray-making property of your cameras lightmeter and how to overcome it.
-Learn how to correctly expose your images using a gray card or the palm of your hand
-How to calibrate your meter for perfect exposures
-The metering modes on the camera and what they do
-The drive modes on your camera
-The Autofocus and Manual Focus settings on your camera
-The Drive Modes on the camera
-The White Balance functions on your camera
You will also be shown how to improve your images by using PhotoShop image editing software. You will have personalized attention from the instructor, so that you may reach the goals that you set out for yourself in this course.
Regular price: $100/Session
Photography: SCAC Photography Round Table
If you can answer yes to any of these questions then this forum is for you!
1. I'm interested in theme photgraphy.
2. I want to develop my photography style.
3. I want honest feedback on my photography.
4. I'm not sure my photographs capture the mood I want.
5. I am ready to advance from amatuer to professional.
6. I want advice on my equipment, lighting, and tools.
Time: 6:00 - 8:00pm
Meets the first Wednesday of each month.
Follow us on Facebook for the latest on the RoundTable Meeting Dates and Monthly Projects!
Facilitator: Hank Siegel
Location: Shelby County Arts Council in Columbiana
Ages 12 and up.
Shelby County Arts Council's Photography Round Table will be facilitated by Hank Siegel, a professional photographer who has earned his Certificate for Completion of Digital Photography Program with Paris Farzad, SCAC's very own Basic Digital Photography Instructor. This group is not a class; it is a casual but informative venue for amateur to expert level photographers to come together to share their ideas, tips, advice, tricks, and knowledge with each other. This group is highly recommended for those who are planning to take or who have already taken our "Click! Intro to Basic Digital Photography" class offered on Thursday evenings with Paris Farzad or comparable.
Pottery - Beginning Handbuilding Class with Candye Lundy
Hand-building Pottery Class
Instructor: Candye Lundy
- Monday Evenings 5:30-8, requires minimum of 4 students for class to make,
- Thursday Mornings 10:30-1:00
A fun, relaxed class focusing on creating large serving pieces made from clay!
Learn the basics of handbuilding from SCAC Pottery Collective member Candye Lundy.
Class Fee: $115,
This class uses Cone 6 clay. Supplies(clay/glazes) not included in class fee. Bring your own clay (Cone 6) to class, available locally through Alabama Art Supply and Forstall Art Center in Birmingham.
Pottery Class: Altering Classic Designs
Join guest artist, Ann Fontaine, for a workshop based on altering your pottery.
Ann will teach students to transform a cylinder into an altered and carved masterpiece.
Pre-requisite for the class is beginning pottery.
Bring your own supplies. The teacher uses Low Fire clay (04-06) and underglazes her work. We have tools that may be used.
Four part workshop: October 14-November 4th, Wednesday Morning 10am - Noon
Class Fee: $100
Pottery: Build, Throw, Fire! Wheel-class with Nita Terrell
Build, Throw, Fire!
Pottery: Build, throw, Fire! evenings with Nita Terrell
Six-weeks pottery class- majority wheel throwing with some hand building
- Learn pottery techniques through productively working; on the wheel or through hand-built pieces
- Learn new skills or develop and improve skills by explore wheel throwing and hand-building techniques in a fun and relaxing environment.
- Learn about glazing, and select what color combination works for your projects.
- Personal training time is plentiful due to our small class size (limited to 6 students minimum of 2)
- Supplies: The studio fires Cone 6 clay for classes. Purchase you clay prior to class. Supplies are available locally through Alabama Art Supply or Forstall Art Center in Birmigham.
- We will throw on the wheel for the first class so bring an old towel if you can.
Sept 1 - October 6, Evening
Oct 13-November 10th
Nov 17 - December 22nd (No Class week of Thanksgiving)
Instructor: Nita Terrell
5:00 - 7:30pm
Ages 15 – Adult
Regular price: $115
Pottery: Open Studio
Open Studio at the SCAC!
Our pottery studio will be open for use! The monthly fee includes use of space, tools, wheels and firing in the kiln.
You must supply your own clay and glazes! We bisque fire at Cone "04" and glaze fire at Cone "6".
Monthly Fee is $50.00 and must be paid in advance! Studio Guidelines will be posted.
Summer Studio Hours
Thursday - 1:00-5pm
Private Visual Art Tutoring for Youth
- One-on-one tutoring for youth is one of the best ways for a serious young artist to exercise their creative and technical muscles.
- Our private students are encouraged to create works based on themes or in a series, to think critically about art, and investigate work by the masters and explore and experiment with new art mediums.
Lessons are $25/hour
Call SCAC to schedule. 205.669.0044
Location: Shelby County Arts Council
Studio - Columbiana
Minimum 4 lessons
Available instructors: Lynn Dodson, Edna Sealy, Jerry Roldan, Deanne Thorn, Bruce Andrews