Drawing: LEARN TO DRAW! ALL LEVELS
An introductory class that offers a fun experience! Instructor Jerry Roldan will explain the equipment and what an artist looks for when he makes a work. Drawing is the signature of the artists....if you can write your name - you can draw!
Classes focus on individual topics such as Line Drawing - Still Life - Self Portrait
First class - Introductory Fee $10.00. After the first class fee is $15/a session or $60 for the month
After the first class - $25 registration fee is required.
Tuesday Evenings 6:00-7:30pm
Music Lessons: Guitar, Harmonica, Piano, Voice through Shelby County Arts Council's Music Program
- Learn music theory and technique
- Professional Muscians are the Instructors
- To read more about our Professional Instructors, please click here.
- Call to discuss your scheduling requirments and class fees.
Painting - Vibrant Portraits Workshop
Entertaining and informative workshop on creating bright, colorful portraits. Her simple instruction includes sketching tips, loose application of paint, unique color schemes, blending, proportion study, and building a balanced composition.
Click here to learn more about the Artist: Kellie Newsome
- Bring a photo of the person you want to paint.
- Canvas for painting (8x10 or larger)
- Paints provided
- Wear your "paint clothes"
Saturday, June 6, 2015
10am-4pm. Bring a lunch
Workshop Fee: $115.00
Painting: Fabric Painting - Colored Washed Cotton Fabrics with Master Quilter Agnes Pool
Five 2 hour sessions: $100 for Full Session ( $20.00 Per Session )
First Week: 2 Sessions Wednesday & Thursday, April 8 & 9, 2015 10:00 to 12:00.
(Color Wash Paint has to dry 24 hours before heat setting).
Sessions 3-5: Thursday Mornings 10:00am to 12:00pm
First Session: All Painting Supplies furnished.
Remaining Sessions: Regular Sewing and Quilting Supplies including Sewing Machine with Walking Foot and Open Toe or Darning Foot.
Painting: SPRING OPEN STUDIO
- Bring your own supplies
- Artists are invited to come and paint in our studio.
- Enjoy the company and encouragement of your fellow artists.
- All mediums are welcome.
CALL the SCAC to reserve your spot!
Tuesday's - 10:00 AM – 2:00 PM
Ages 15 - Adult
Open house, no instructor
$7.00 fee per day
PAINTING: WATERCOLORS with Pat Hall
- Great class for first time painters! Teachers goes step by step through the process!
- -Portrait Painintg Focus on skin tones and facial features
- No drawing necessary - tracings and photos provided
- Paint your own subjects when you feel comfortable with the basics
(Instructor will project the image of your photo onto tracing paper and bring it to class)
Instructor: Pat Hall
Class Schedule: Monthly Classes. Begin the first Tuesday or Saturday of the Month.
Tuesday Afternoons: 1:00-4:00pm
Saturday Mornings: 10:00 - 1:30 (1/2 hour lunch)
$80/Session: 4 classes per Sesson
Ages 15 and up!
Location: Instructor's home. Limited to 5 students per meeting time.
Materials provided: 11 x 15 Sheet of 300lb Cold Press Paper . Professional grade watercolor paint Bring your brushes if you have any
Regular price: $80
Painting: Meet the Masters
Students learn about 35 of the Greatest Artists in History. Explore the techniques that revoluntionized the art world.
- Easels, canvas, and paint are just some of the tools used in this painting & art history class
- Investigate artwork by the masters & explore various art mediums during this 4-week course
- Homeschoolers - Wednesdays 1:30-2:30pm
- After School - Wednesdays 3:30 - 4:30pm
- Private lessons avaiable. Call to schedule (669-0044)
- Location: Shelby County Arts Council Studio – Columbiana
Regular price: $70/month - 4 sessions includes all suppies
Painting: Open Studio with Bruce Andrews
Open Studio with Bruce Andrews
Most Friday's from 10:00 to Noon.
Call to confirm class time 205 669 0044
Painting: RELAXED, CREATIVE, PRODUCTIVE Monday
- Relaxed Studio Class, you decide your project!
- No experience necessary!
- Personalized attention given by professional painting Instructor!
Now Enrolling for 2015 Sessions:
February - May 2015- MARCH AFTERNOON SESSION IS FULL!
4 week sessions, Ongoing Ages 15 – Adult
Instructor: Lynn Dodson
Supply List of Recommended Materials Provided Upon Request
Location: Shelby County Arts Council
Regular price: $80/month
Painting: Throw an Arty Party
- Get a group together and throw an Arty Party!
- Great for a Teen Birthday Party! We will work with you on the design of the painting to fit your party theme!
- Great for Corporate Team Building!
- From beginner to advanced, students will be led through a creation of a beautiful painting!
Ages 6 – Adult
Call to schedule private arty party 205-669-0044
Photography: Capturing Memorable Images
How do you capture what you intended to when you press the shutter?
How do you go from taking snap-shots to capturing images which have that WOW factor?
This class is designed to introduce the student to basic concepts in photography and digital camera operations including:
Ø Image Capture - understanding the light, know your camera, develop techniques
Ø Image Transfer - set up the computer, manage your image files, accessories
Ø Image Processing - software available, capabilities, techniques
Ø Image Sharing - E-mailing, WEB sites, printing
Whether you've got a simple "POINT-AND-SHOOT" digital camera or a more complex Digital SLR, you can gain skill and confidence in your ability to capture memorable images.
Course Length - Two 3 hour sessions
Dates: April 18 and April 25 from 9am - Noon
Need to bring: your digital camera and your camera's users manual
Photography: CLICK! Basic Digital PHOTOGRAPHY for adults
4 week sessions (Feb 5-26, March 5-26, April 9-30, May 7-28)
Ages 14 - Adult
You have bought your first Manual-Exposure digital camera and you have now become overwhelmed and confused how to make the best out of your equipment, then this is the course for you. Come and let us help you to understand the different aspects of photography! You will be exposed to:
-Image sizing and resolution
-How to best store and backup your images
-The difference between erasing your card and formatting it
-Image Quality- Raw vs. Jpeg
-Concept of Aperture Openings/F-stops, Shutter speeds, ISO/ film Speeds on a digital camera
-The different exposure modes and shooting modes on the camera
-How to find correct exposures indoors and outside
-How to correctly compose your images
-The gray-making property of your cameras lightmeter and how to overcome it.
-Learn how to correctly expose your images using a gray card or the palm of your hand
-How to calibrate your meter for perfect exposures
-The metering modes on the camera and what they do
-The drive modes on your camera
-The Autofocus and Manual Focus settings on your camera
-The Drive Modes on the camera
-The White Balance functions on your camera
You will also be shown how to improve your images by using PhotoShop image editing software. You will have personalized attention from the instructor, so that you may reach the goals that you set out for yourself in this course.
Regular price: $100/Session
Photography: SCAC Photography Round Table
If you can answer yes to any of these questions then this forum is for you!
1. I'm interested in theme photgraphy.
2. I want to develop my photography style.
3. I want honest feedback on my photography.
4. I'm not sure my photographs capture the mood I want.
5. I am ready to advance from amatuer to professional.
6. I want advice on my equipment, lighting, and tools.
Time: 6:00 - 8:00pm
Meets the first Wednesday of each month.
Follow us on Facebook for the latest on the RoundTable Meeting Dates and Monthly Projects!
Facilitator: Hank Siegel
Location: Shelby County Arts Council in Columbiana
Ages 12 and up.
Shelby County Arts Council's Photography Round Table will be facilitated by Hank Siegel, a professional photographer who has earned his Certificate for Completion of Digital Photography Program with Paris Farzad, SCAC's very own Basic Digital Photography Instructor. This group is not a class; it is a casual but informative venue for amateur to expert level photographers to come together to share their ideas, tips, advice, tricks, and knowledge with each other. This group is highly recommended for those who are planning to take or who have already taken our "Click! Intro to Basic Digital Photography" class offered on Thursday evenings with Paris Farzad or comparable.
Pottery - Beginning Handbuilding with Candye Lundy
Learn the basics of hand building pottery with Instructor Candye Lundy.
- Create your own Funcational Art!
- Four Week Session beginning May 2, 2015
- Saturday Classes are 9am - 1:00pm
Supplies(clay/glazes) not included in class fee. Bring your own clay (Cone 6) to class or we have Standard 112 available for purchase.
Cass Time: Thursday Evenings 6:00pm - 8:30pm
Pottery - Sculpture Class with Nelson Grice
From Nelson's Jester Series
Professional Potter - Nelson Grice - Will lead the class through the process of transferring clay into a portrait scupture.
Visit his website: www.nelsongriceart.com/
Tuesday, March 3 - March 24
- Turn a block of clay into a work of art
- Learn to create expressive facial features
- The world of sculpture ceramics is nearly limitless
Cost: $100 (includes firings). Bring your own supplies.
Pottery: Beginning Hand Building Pottery with Amy Pickens
- Perfect Class for Beginners....If you have always wanted to try pottery now is the time!
- Develop and improve skills and become more accomplished in the art of ceramics
- Supply list will be provided, but no need to bring anything to the first class. Clay supplies can be bought at class.
- Students will be given over-view of glazes to order for use on projects
- Small class size! Space is limited to 6 students
January 6 - February 10
February 16-March 24
March 31 - May 5
Instructor: Amy Pickens
Tuesdays, 10:30am - 1:00 pm
Ages 15 – Adult
Regular price: $115
Pottery: Build, Throw, Fire! Thursday evening Wheel-class with Nita Terrell
Build, Throw, Fire!
Pottery: Build, throw, Fire! Thursday evenings with Nita Terrell
Six-weeks pottery class- majority wheel throwing with some hand building
- Learn pottery techniques through productively working; on the wheel or through hand-built pieces
- Learn new skills or develop and improve skills by explore wheel throwing and hand-building techniques in a fun and relaxing environment.
- Learn about glazing, and select what color combination works for your projects.
- Personal training time is plentiful due to our small class size (limited to 6 students minimum of 2)
- Supplies: Supply lists will be provided at our first meeting, with some supplies available for purchase at that time.
- We will throw on the wheel for the first class so bring an old towel if you can.
March 5 - April 9th - Thursday Evenings
April 23 - June 4th - No class week of May 14th - Thursday Evenings
June 9 - July 7 - Tuesday Evening in Summer
Instructor: Nita Terrell
Thursday, 5:00 - 7:30pm
Ages 15 – Adult
Regular price: $115
- Students will be guided through the process of clay wheel-throwing while given freedom to add their own personalities to their work.
- Learn pinch & coil construction techniques and wheel throwing.
- Explore glazing techniques with bright, colorful, professional grade ceramic glazes!
Sessions are 6 weeks:
Call the studio for details on registering for this class.
Wednesdays, 4:00 - 5:30pm
Ages 8 – 12
Location: Shelby County Arts Council Studio – Columbiana
Pottery: Open Studio
Open Studio at the SCAC!
Our pottery studio will be open for use! The monthly fee includes use of space, tools, wheels and firing in the kiln.
You must supply your own clay and glazes! We bisque fire at Cone "04" and glaze fire at Cone "6".
Monthly Fee is $50.00 and must be paid in advance! Studio Guidelines will be posted.
Studio Hours: Monday 1-9pm, Tuesday Afternoon 1:30 until 6pm and Thursday Morning 10am-4pm.
Private Visual Art Tutoring for Youth
- One-on-one tutoring for youth is one of the best ways for a serious young artist to exercise their creative and technical muscles.
- Our private students are encouraged to create works based on themes or in a series, to think critically about art, and investigate work by the masters and explore and experiment with new art mediums.
Lessons are $25/hour
Call SCAC to schedule. 205.669.0044
Location: Shelby County Arts Council
Studio - Columbiana
Minimum 4 lessons
Available instructors: Lynn Dodson, Edna Sealy, Jerry Roldan, Deanne Thorn, Bruce Andrews
Summer Theater Camp: JUNGLE BOOK with Missoula Children's Theather
- A fun and exciting camp for students who love the stage!
- Missoula Children's Theatre will work with 50-60 campers to produce to FULL SCALE musical performance in just ONE WEEK!
- All children will have a role in the production!
- The camp will help reinforce educational components such as memorization and interpersonal relationship skills - all the while having FUN! Cost: $95.00 per student
Location: Shelby County High School
Date/Time: Monday, June 22 - Friday June 26 - Time: 10am-2:00pm,
Saturday, June 27 Performance date, Time: TBA