Drawing: LEARN TO DRAW! ALL LEVELS
An introductory class that offers a fun experience! Instructor Jerry Roldan will explain the equipment and what an artist looks for when he makes a work. Drawing is the signature of the artists....if you can write your name - you can draw!
Classes focus on individual topics such as Line Drawing - Still Life - Self Portrait
First class - Introductory Fee $10.00. After the first class fee is $15/a session or $60 for the month
After the first class - $25 registration fee is required.
Tuesday Evenings 6:00-7:30pm
Music Lessons: Guitar, Harmonica, Piano, Voice through Shelby County Arts Council's Music Program
- Learn music theory and technique
- Professional Muscians are the Instructors
- To read more about our Professional Instructors, please click here.
- Call to discuss your scheduling requirements and class fees.
Music: Vocal Performance Workshop
Two sessions designed to get you ready to perform live on stage. Taught by Krista Wendle
Day 1 July 7, 2015, 2:00 – 4:00 PM
1. The Essentials of Singing
a. Body posture and stance
b. How the vocal cords work
c. Warming up
d. Proper breathing technique
2. How to Choose a Song That Fits Your Voice
a. Finding your vocal range
b. Finding your style
c. Smoothing the transition between voices
d. Choose your song (There will be many styles to choose from)
e. Begin learning how to sing the song of your choice
Day 2 July 14, 2015, 2:00 – 4:00 PM
1. Preparing For Your Performance
a. How to prepare for your performance
b. How to choose what to wear
c. Learning microphone technique
d. To dance, or not to dance
2. Performance Essentials
a. Work one on one with the teacher
b. Rehearse your song
c. Perform your song in class
d. Discuss helpful tips for your performance
Day 3 July 24, 2015, Time TBA
a. Perform your song in front of an audience
Painting: OPEN STUDIO
- Bring your own supplies
- Artists are invited to come and paint in our studio.
- Enjoy the company and encouragement of your fellow artists.
- All mediums are welcome.
CALL the SCAC to reserve your spot!
Summer Schedule: All Tuesdays except July 21 and July 28
Tuesday's - 10:00 AM – 2:00 PM
Ages 15 - Adult
Open house, no instructor
$7.00 fee per day
Painting: Meet the Masters
Students learn about 35 of the Greatest Artists in History. Explore the techniques that revoluntionized the art world.
- Easels, canvas, and paint are just some of the tools used in this painting & art history class
- Investigate artwork by the masters & explore various art mediums during this 4-week course
- Homeschoolers - Wednesdays 1:30-2:30pm
- After School - Wednesdays 3:30 - 4:30pm
- Private lessons avaiable. Call to schedule (669-0044)
- Location: Shelby County Arts Council Studio – Columbiana
Regular price: $70/month - 4 sessions includes all suppies
Painting: RELAXED, CREATIVE, PRODUCTIVE Monday
- Relaxed Studio Class, you decide your project!
- No experience necessary!
- Personalized attention given by professional painting Instructor!
Now Enrolling for Fall 2015 Sessions:
4 week sessions, Ongoing Ages 15 – Adult
Instructor: Lynn Dodson
Supply List of Recommended Materials Provided Upon Request
Location: Shelby County Arts Council
Regular price: $80/month
Painting: Throw an Arty Party
- Get a group together and throw an Arty Party!
- Great for a Teen Birthday Party! We will work with you on the design of the painting to fit your party theme!
- Great for Corporate Team Building!
- From beginner to advanced, students will be led through a creation of a beautiful painting!
Ages 6 – Adult
Call to schedule private arty party 205-669-0044
Photography: SCAC Photography Round Table
If you can answer yes to any of these questions then this forum is for you!
1. I'm interested in theme photgraphy.
2. I want to develop my photography style.
3. I want honest feedback on my photography.
4. I'm not sure my photographs capture the mood I want.
5. I am ready to advance from amatuer to professional.
6. I want advice on my equipment, lighting, and tools.
Time: 6:00 - 8:00pm
Meets the first Wednesday of each month.
Follow us on Facebook for the latest on the RoundTable Meeting Dates and Monthly Projects!
Facilitator: Hank Siegel
Location: Shelby County Arts Council in Columbiana
Ages 12 and up.
Shelby County Arts Council's Photography Round Table will be facilitated by Hank Siegel, a professional photographer who has earned his Certificate for Completion of Digital Photography Program with Paris Farzad, SCAC's very own Basic Digital Photography Instructor. This group is not a class; it is a casual but informative venue for amateur to expert level photographers to come together to share their ideas, tips, advice, tricks, and knowledge with each other. This group is highly recommended for those who are planning to take or who have already taken our "Click! Intro to Basic Digital Photography" class offered on Thursday evenings with Paris Farzad or comparable.
Pottery - Beginning Hand Building with Amy Pickens Tuesday Morning
- Perfect Class for Beginners....If you have always wanted to try pottery now is the time!
- Develop and improve skills and become more accomplished in the art of ceramics
- Supply list will be provided, but no need to bring anything to the first class. Clay supplies can be bought at class.
- Students will be given over-view of glazes to order for use on projects
- Small class size! Space is limited to 6 students
Next Session starts August 3
Instructor: Amy Pickens
Tuesdays, 10:30am - 1:00 pm
Ages 15 – Adult
Regular price: $115
Pottery - Beginning Handbuilding Class with Candye Lundy
Hand-building Pottery Class
Instructor: Candye Lundy
- Monday Evenings 6-8:30, June 1-22
- Thursday Mornings 10:30-1:00, June 11-July 2
A fun, relaxed class focusing on creating large serving pieces made from clay!
Learn the basics of handbuilding from SCAC Pottery Collective member Candye Lundy.
Class Fee: $115, requires minimum of 4 students for class to make
This class uses Cone 6 clay. Supplies(clay/glazes) not included in class fee. Bring your own clay (Cone 6) to class or we have Standard 112 available for purchase.
Pottery - Sculpture Class with Nelson Grice
Example of Student's Work from last class
Professional Potter - Nelson Grice - Will lead the class through the process of transferring clay into a sculpture.
This class is designed for the intermediate pottery student looking to expand their skills. Students should have completed a beginning handbuilding class prior to enrollment.
Visit his website: www.nelsongriceart.com/
Monday June 22 through July 13
- Turn a block of clay into a work of art
- Learn to create expressive features
- The world of sculpture ceramics is nearly limitless
Cost: $100 (includes firings). Bring your own supplies.
Pottery: Build, Throw, Fire! Thursday evening Wheel-class with Nita Terrell
Build, Throw, Fire!
Pottery: Build, throw, Fire! Thursday evenings with Nita Terrell
Six-weeks pottery class- majority wheel throwing with some hand building
- Learn pottery techniques through productively working; on the wheel or through hand-built pieces
- Learn new skills or develop and improve skills by explore wheel throwing and hand-building techniques in a fun and relaxing environment.
- Learn about glazing, and select what color combination works for your projects.
- Personal training time is plentiful due to our small class size (limited to 6 students minimum of 2)
- Supplies: Supply lists will be provided at our first meeting, with some supplies available for purchase at that time.
- We will throw on the wheel for the first class so bring an old towel if you can.
April 23 - June 4th - No class week of May 14th - Thursday Evenings
June 11- July 16 - Evening in Summer
July 21 - August 25 - Evening - Summer
Instructor: Nita Terrell
Thursday, 5:00 - 7:30pm
Ages 15 – Adult
Regular price: $115
Pottery: Open Studio
Open Studio at the SCAC!
Our pottery studio will be open for use! The monthly fee includes use of space, tools, wheels and firing in the kiln.
You must supply your own clay and glazes! We bisque fire at Cone "04" and glaze fire at Cone "6".
Monthly Fee is $50.00 and must be paid in advance! Studio Guidelines will be posted.
Summer Studio Hours
Thursday - 1:00-5pm
Private Visual Art Tutoring for Youth
- One-on-one tutoring for youth is one of the best ways for a serious young artist to exercise their creative and technical muscles.
- Our private students are encouraged to create works based on themes or in a series, to think critically about art, and investigate work by the masters and explore and experiment with new art mediums.
Lessons are $25/hour
Call SCAC to schedule. 205.669.0044
Location: Shelby County Arts Council
Studio - Columbiana
Minimum 4 lessons
Available instructors: Lynn Dodson, Edna Sealy, Jerry Roldan, Deanne Thorn, Bruce Andrews
Summer Art Camp: Passport to Fun!
Our 2015 Summer Camp will focus on artists from around the globe!
Get your passport stamped in Italy, France, Japan, Mexico and beyond!
- Taught by Professional artists
- Various art techniques learned - painting with plastic Palette-knives
- Making mosaics
- Creating with clay
- Great take home projects at the end of camp.
Summer Theater Camp: JUNGLE BOOK with Missoula Children's Theather
- A fun and exciting camp for students who love the stage!
- Missoula Children's Theatre will work with 50-60 campers to produce to FULL SCALE musical performance in just ONE WEEK!
- All children will have a role in the production!
- The camp will help reinforce educational components such as memorization and interpersonal relationship skills - all the while having FUN!
- Cost: $95.00 per student
Location: Shelby County High School
Date/Time: Monday, June 22 - Friday June 26 - Time: 10am-2:00pm,
Saturday, June 27 Performance date, Time: 4:00pm