Drawing: LEARN TO DRAW! ALL LEVELS
An introductory class that offers a fun experience! Instructor Jerry Roldan will explain the equipment and what an artist looks for when he makes a work. Drawing is the signature of the artists....if you can write your name - you can draw!
Classes focus on individual topics such as Line Drawing - Still Life - Self Portrait
First class - Introductory Fee $10.00. After the first class fee is $15/a session or $60 for the month
After the first class - $25 registration fee is required.
Tuesday Evenings 6:00-7:30pm
Classes begin August 9th!
Music Lessons: Guitar, Harmonica, Piano, Voice through Shelby County Arts Council's Music Program
- Learn music theory and technique
- Professional Muscians are the Instructors
- To read more about our Professional Instructors, please click here.
- Call to discuss scheduling.
- Piano is offered on Tuesday's and Thursday's.
- Guitar Lessons are offerd on Monday and Thursday.
- Voice Lessons are Offered on Wednesday and Friday.
Painting: Beginning Acrylic Painting
BEGINNING ACRYLIC PAINTING
- Learn how to mix colors, use the color wheel, about under painting, and acrylic mediums.
- Learn how to design a painting and use photographs.
- Discover why artists use local, symbolic, and arbitrary color schemes.
- Gain insight into how a professional artist works.
Painting: Meet the Masters
Students learn about 35 of the Greatest Artists in History. Explore the techniques that revoluntionized the art world.
- Easels, canvas, and paint are just some of the tools used in this painting & art history class
- Investigate artwork by the masters & explore various art mediums during this 4-week course
- After School ages 8-12- Wednesdays 3:30 - 4:30pm
- Private lessons available. $25 per lesson. Call to schedule (669-0044)
Location: Shelby County Arts Council Studio – Columbiana
New for Fall 2016 - Young Masters
Introduction to Art and creativity specially designed for children 5-7.
- After School-Thursdays 3:30-4:30pm
Regular price: $70/month - 4 sessions includes all suppies
Painting: RELAXED, CREATIVE, PRODUCTIVE
- Relaxed Studio Class, you decide your project!
- No experience necessary!
- Personalized attention given by professional painting Instructor!
Now Enrolling for 2016
August-November 2016 Sessions:
Mondays-1-4pm OR 6-9pm-Adult painting classes
Tuesdays-6pm-9pm-Adult painting classes
4 week sessions, Ongoing Ages 15 – Adult
Instructor: Lynn Dodson
Click Here for Supply List of Recommended Materials (Oil and Acrylic list)
Location: Shelby County Arts Council
*For information on private lessons see instructor*
Regular price: $80/month
Private instruction: $25hr/$100month
Painting: STUDIO OPEN PAINTING
- Bring your own supplies
- Artists are invited to come and paint in our studio.
- Enjoy the company and encouragement of your fellow artists.
- All mediums are welcome.
Tuesday's - 10:00 AM – 2:00 PM
Ages 15 - Adult
Open house, no instructor
$7.00 fee per day
Painting: Throw an Arty Party
- Get a group together and throw an Arty Party!
- Great for a Teen Birthday Party! We will work with you on the design of the painting to fit your party theme!
- Great for Corporate Team Building!
- From beginner to advanced, students will be led through a creation of a beautiful painting!
Ages 6 – Adult
Call to schedule private arty party 205-669-0044
Photography: Capturing Memorable Images
How do you capture what you intended to when you press the shutter?
How do you go from taking snap-shots to capturing images which have that WOW factor?
This class is designed to introduce the student to basic concepts in photography and digital camera operations including:
Ø Image Capture - understanding the light, know your camera, develop techniques
Ø Image Transfer - set up the computer, manage your image files, accessories
Ø Image Processing - software available, capabilities, techniques
Ø Image Sharing - E-mailing, WEB sites, printing
Need to bring: your digital camera and your camera's users manual
Whether you've got a simple "POINT-AND-SHOOT" digital camera or a more complex Digital SLR, you can gain skill and confidence in your ability to capture memorable images.
Course Length - Two 3 hour sessions
Class Date: September 17 and September 24, 2016 from 9am to noon
Class Fee: $100
Photography: CLICK! Basic Digital PHOTOGRAPHY for adults
Ages 14 - Adult
You have bought your first Manual-Exposure digital camera and you have now become overwhelmed and confused how to make the best out of your equipment, then this is the course for you. Come and let us help you to understand the different aspects of photography! You will be exposed to:
-Image sizing and resolution
-How to best store and backup your images
-The difference between erasing your card and formatting it
-Image Quality- Raw vs. Jpeg
-Concept of Aperture Openings/F-stops, Shutter speeds, ISO/ film Speeds on a digital camera
-The different exposure modes and shooting modes on the camera
-How to find correct exposures indoors and outside
-How to correctly compose your images
-The gray-making property of your cameras lightmeter and how to overcome it.
-Learn how to correctly expose your images using a gray card or the palm of your hand
-How to calibrate your meter for perfect exposures
-The metering modes on the camera and what they do
-The drive modes on your camera
-The Autofocus and Manual Focus settings on your camera
-The Drive Modes on the camera
-The White Balance functions on your camera
You will also be shown how to improve your images by using PhotoShop image editing software. You will have personalized attention from the instructor, so that you may reach the goals that you set out for yourself in this course.
Class session Dates;
September-1, 8, 22, 29
October-6,13, 20, 27
November-3, 10, 17, and December 1
Regular price: $100/Session
Pottery - Beginning Handbuilding Class with Candye Lundy
Hand-building Pottery Class
Instructor: Candye Lundy
Classes are every Thursday morning from August-December 2016/4 class sessions per month.
- Thursday Mornings 10:30am -1:00 pm
A fun, relaxed class focusing on creating large serving pieces made from clay!
Learn the basics of handbuilding from SCAC Pottery Collective member Candye Lundy.
Class Fee: $115,
This class uses Cone 6 clay. Supplies(clay/glazes) not included in class fee. Bring your own clay (Cone 6) to class, available locally through Alabama Art Supply and Forstall Art Center in Birmingham.
Pottery: Build, Throw, Fire! Wheel-class with Nita Terrell
Build, Throw, Fire!
Pottery: Build, Throw, Fire! Evenings with Nita Terrell
Pottery class- majority wheel throwing with some hand building
Learn pottery techniques through productively working; on the wheel or through hand-built pieces
Learn new skills or develop and improve skills by explore wheel throwing and hand-building techniques in a fun and relaxing environment
Personal training time is plentiful due to our small class size (limited to 5 students minimum of 2)
Supplies: The studio fires Cone 6 clay and glazes for class. Supplies are not included in class fee. Purchase clay prior to class. We will talk about glazes so you can wait on it if you like. Supplies are available locally through Alabama Art Supply or Forstall Art Center in Birmingham.
We will throw on the wheel for the first class so bring an old towel if you can.
Sessions - Tuesday Evening, 5:00 - 7:30pm
Ages 15 – Adult
Class Session Dates:
August 23-September 27 *Class session is currently full*
October 4-November 1
November 15-December 20
Regular price: $115.00
Advanced Wheel Throwing Class with Nita Terrell
This class is designed with the advanced wheel throwing potter in mind. Many potters benefit from a long span of time in the studio. The instructor is there to assist potters with developing their work; however, most work will be independent. During the session, the instructor will also be developing their own body of work.
This class is reserved for advanced wheel throwing students. *Instructor approval required.*
Class includes 2/4hr Saturday session.
September 24th and October 1st
Class fee: $100 ($50/session-includes use of studio space/firing/assistance.)
*Class is limited to 4 students*
Pottery: Creating in Community
Faciliated by Amy Pickens, Creating in Community is an evening to join fellow pottery artists to share ideas, create and fellowship.
- It's fun to create with a Community of Artists
- No set class project; you create whatever you would like
- Faciliator is there for guidance
- Fee includes use of studio space, tools and firing fee
- Participants must have completed a minimum of three pottery classes to attend
- Limited to 8 artists
Thursday Evenings from 5-8pm
Pottery: Open Studio
Open Studio at the SCAC!
Our pottery studio will be open for use! The monthly fee includes use of space, tools, wheels and firing in the kiln.
Non-students must have completed a minimum of three hand-building and/or wheel throwing classes to participate in the open studio.
You must supply your own clay and glazes! We bisque fire at Cone "04" and glaze fire at Cone "6".
Monthly Fee is $50.00 and must be paid in advance! Click for full Open Studio Guidelines.
Fall Studio Hours
Mondays – 4:00 pm – 9:00pm
Tuesdays – 1:00 pm – 5:00 pm
Wednesdays – 10:00 am - 3:00 pm
Thursdays - 1:00 pm -5:00 pm
Private Visual Art Tutoring for Youth
- One-on-one tutoring for youth is one of the best ways for a serious young artist to exercise their creative and technical muscles.
- Our private students are encouraged to create works based on themes or in a series, to think critically about art, and investigate work by the masters and explore and experiment with new art mediums.
Lessons are $25/hour
Call SCAC to schedule. 205.669.0044
Location: Shelby County Arts Council
Studio - Columbiana
Minimum 4 lessons
Available instructors: Lynn Dodson, Edna Sealy, Jerry Roldan, and Bruce Andrews